Friday, February 1, 2013

The world would be a better place if.......

The world would be a better place if we could all embrace and practice energy management rather than  our current practice to hoard energy we "think" we may need (i.e. need vs. want; or more specifically EV battery range "limit" vs how far do we really need to drive).  It would also be really cool if we all knew truth.  What is the source of the information (negative background noise) bashing the range of EVs ?  Who is try to convince all of us on daily basis that we need more than what we really need (need to go farther than we actually go)?

Where am I going with this?  Now that a major portion of the Northern Hemisphere  is dealing with winter weather (i.e., New Rochelle, NY where I live) and we have to bundle up in layers to conserve our energy (stay warm), I think now is a good time to introduce my thesis: Our society (as a whole, and I know there are many exceptions, like me) does not understand or chooses to not understand where the energy that keeps us comfortable (alive) comes from, or the affect our "programmed" over consumption has on society and our global environment.

What does this have to do with my Nissan Leaf?  A lot!

As I read recent negative news about EVs, their poor sales, limited range, etc.  especially due to seasonal (temperature) extremes, and battery limitations; I have come to the realization that an EV Allie, the "Popular Press", has failed all of us.  They are looking at the wrong side of the "coin".  Come on!  Change your ethos.  Promote the real and positive side, maybe even the truth of how EVs have been the foundation of the automobile industry and possibly the salvation of society as we now know it. You shouldn't be afraid of change.

My observation; the Popular Press is more interested in selling their business (perhaps, ADVERTISING??) by tickling the negative emotions of an uniformed public with preconceived notions that EV's don't have the range to get you where you "want to go", rather than inform and share with their readership the experience of pioneer EV owners and how EVs will get you where you need to go (and back - BTW for at least 1/3 the cost of the equivalent gasoline powered vehicle)..

"Honey, its cold outside.."   Yes it is. Now is winter.  Honey, it should be cold outside (don't ask me why it was 60 F yesterday or global climate change, or carbon emissions....).   Yet being cold outside, our Nissan LEAF has not stranded us by the side of the road.  So we get  home with a little less range in reserve.  So what.  We got home.

I love our LEAF.

BTW - To the driver of the electric BMW that passed me while I was driving my CNG powered Honda  Company Car on the Hutchinson River Parkway this morning in Harrison/White Plains, NY at around 8:05 AM:  Hi! I saw your car out of the corner of my eye and knew immediately what you were driving - cool!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and contribution.